Today was the day of the recall. I'd organised a Flashmeeting (videoconf) for 1pm thinking I'd be finished in plenty of time to leave for my 3.40pm appt. In the end i had to say I had a meeting at 3 in order to finish.
Scuttled off in a bit of a hurry, but arrived OK - more or less on time and was called in.
The nurse showed me the films of my previous mammogram. There was a disconcerting looking white patch of tissue on the left breast in both the images (the top down and the sideways one). So she did four more 'grams using the digital imager they had in the hospital. This is better than the film one as they can zoom in on areas they're interested in. Still just as uncomfortable.
After this, she sent the images to the Dr and took me to another room for an ultrasound scan. The Dr came in and said that the digital image showed pretty convincingly that it was just a cyst. He used the ultrasound (like when you have an ultrasound of a baby before it is born). The cyst area showed in black.
He said they'd drain it there and then under local anaesthetic. I wasn't keen, and thinking back, it was interesting that he kept saying "this is Ok with you isn't it" but I don't think it really mattered what I said. I wasn't keen, but figured that it would be better to get it sorted now than hang onto it.
So, nasty needle to inject the local, then another needle into the cyst (I could see it on the screen) and then when they pulled the plunger, the liquid clearly went out and the thing collapsed on the screen. Great. Not too bad at all although a bit uncomfortable.
Then to the car park - I'd left my purse at home in my rush to leave. I asked at the desk because the web site mentions how you can get free car parking if you're an outpatient, but she didn't have any £3 tickets. She suggested I go to the customer services area in the car park.
I did and explained and very kindly they gave me a ticket to get me out. Duh.
Left boob is a tiny bit achey now, but really nothing to speak of. Looking in the mirror it looks like a little pin prick - no bruising or anything. If I didn't know I'd had it, I wouldn't really notice. However I just had two innoculations yesterday for my Nepal trip so I'm feeling a bit like a pin cushion.
Phoned Fiona and told her. Now it feels like such a minor thing, I wonder whether it is worth telling anybody else. I told Esther, but may not bother further.
Poor Stephen got his mobile phone stolen yesterday evening so I had to post him his old one. He had the nice new one for about a month. Think it's better for him to just have cheap phones from now on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment